4.8 out of 5 stars 41 Cheers! For example, when reinstalling head bolts on a Subaru EJ25 engine it specifically calls for oiling the threads. Here’s a quote from their instructions: Tightening torque: 21Nm (2.1kg-m, 15.2 ft.-lbs.). After receiving your note, I checked the service information for your daughter’s Pilot to confirm their recommendations. The instructions weren’t that unusual. NGK says their metal is a special material that will not stick to anything and no anti seize is recommended because of potential over-torquing. Anti-seize can alter the tightening torque up to 20%, increasing the risk of breakage. You made it this far if you want to check out my list of top ten cool automotive tools click here. Only a few select plugs need anti-seize these days. Solution For spark plugs with special metal plating, simply do not use antiseize on initial installation. Hey! This can lead to stripping out spark plug threads, misfires, and other expensive problems down the road. Be careful not to put way too much anti-seize on the threads of spark plugs. The gasket crushes and it can be felt, or the taper seats into the cone and it also can be felt. Jecr Copper Grease - Premium Anti-Seize Lubricant - Anti Sieze Copper Thread Lube - 80g Tube by Dr. Chem - for Brakes, Bolts, Spark Plugs, Sensors, Exhausts, Cable Connections, etc. NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), Inc. – Aftermarket Division 46929 Magellan Drive - Wixom, Michigan 48393 Tech Bulletin - Anti-Seize Compounds on Spark Plug Threads Topic The use of anti-seize compounds on spark plug threads that have a metal shell plating (i.e. NOTE: The tightening torque described above should be applied to only new spark plugs without oil on their threads. Anti-seize can alter the tightening torque up to 20%, increasing the risk of breakage. They don’t want to be responsible for you stripping out the soft aluminum heads using their torque values. top ten cool automotive tools click here. I am only seeking knowledge. It fits domestic applications, and is widely available in automotive retail stores. I'm at about 101k miles. Thought I'd ask your thoughts putting a very small dab of Permatex anti-seize on the threads. Is that correct?Paul PflaumerYardley, PA. best anti-seizes on the market checks it out here. Many spark plugs can be treated with anti-seize lubrication which can reduce the risk of a plug seizing. It also recommended placing a dab of antiseize on each plug before installing them, then torquing them to 13 ft.-lbs. Not true of Copper based anti seize, and Copper makes its way into a lot of the formulas of different anti seizes (even if they don’t say copper on the label). Many modern cars have aluminum cast heads, which is a “soft” metal, meaning it is easy to strip out the spark plugs thread by over-tightening. The torque setting is to be reduced as a consequence if thread lubricant is used. Of course there’s always exceptions to the rule. Think about it; if spark plugs are known for breaking off inside the cylinder head and being a pain to extract, then you are going to want to eliminate the problem for as long as possible. Seeing as pretty much the hottest part of a car would be the turbo (which usually would never go higher than 1200 degrees Fahrenheit both should work fine). 1. Maybe it is a good idea with crappy plugs and an old iron head but you should never do this with a VG30E motor and NGK plugs. We also used anti-seize on the spark plugs of the aircraft where I worked. Disclaimer: Agradetools.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The general rule with anti-seize if a lubricated value is not given is to lower the value by 25%. The anti-seize recommended by tester is the correct anti-seize for an aluminum/iron mating surface. I use the minimum specified torque. G17Jake, Jan 21, 2018. One has bits of Nickel to keep the threads for seizing, and the other has bits of aluminum (usually other compounds as well including Copper). For Landfill applications, anti-seize is highly recommended. If they just tell you not to use it, then you use it and strip out the head with their torque values they’re not at fault. You must understand that anti-seize is a lubricant. Well, right there is your answer. G17Jake, Jan 21, 2018. I am of the group that believes anti-seize used properly will cause zero problems. You only need a dab of anti-seize, and you must only apply it to the middle of the threads very carefully. I see no reason why not. Tighten the plugs to 20Nm (15 ft.-lbs.). I was going through the factory service manual for my daughter’s 2010 Honda Pilot before replacing the spark plugs. The general rule is if the plug has an anti-seize plating, which has a silvery finish, do not use the paste. A little goes a long way. Here is a link to the full. It can also create heat transfer and electrical conductivity concerns. Most by eager for your money chemical companies. What does Spark Plug Manufacturers Say About Using Anti-Seize: Why do all spark plug companies say not to use anti-seize on their plugs? Old School Mechanic Tip #2: Which Way Does The Thermostat Go? E3 had independent labs conduct tests on a variety of plug designs to determine the influence of the ground electrode on flame kernel formation, cycle-to-cycle variation and overall performance. Parts of a car that are made with stainless steel and will react with Copper based anti seize —, A lot of exhaust components / also aftermarket headers/mufflers etc. Very prone to rust/freezing up. ), 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Oil Change Photo Guide + Complete Tool / Part List (Easy! Suggested Applications: Axle assembly Heavy Duty. Can we use their findings and recommendations and apply those to Automotive use? Manufacturer NGK, for example, advises strongly not to use anti-seize lubrication. Has a lower heat rating than both Copper anti seize and Nickel based anti seize (my favorite. Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator and can cause odd mis-fires. Why take a chance? My advice to you if you aren’t that experienced with torque values and spark plug installations? To the seasoned technician, this is a developed feel. Most auto parts stores do not carry a Nickel based anti seize. 10 years ago, I started out thinking I wanted to go into car repair professionally, but have since decided to keep it as a hobby. Issue talking about why using anti seize will be good karma for you in the future: As A Reminder Do NOT Use Anti-Seize On The Following Applications: When the manual for the car calls for oil on the threads then you should use more motor oil as specified by the factory service manual. Anti-seize NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. Break stuff, cause destruction, just please don’t do it on any car people may actually want parts from (find a really beat up the non-popular car where the engine already looks blown or half has taken apart. A lot of private planes all have engines very similar to cars and trucks. Lube=oil/anti-seize/any lubricant aka “wet” notice how the torque values are around 20% less than the dry values. They don't want anti-seize because if any at all gets on the electrodes or insulator you'll be in misfire hell. Especially with spark plugs. Agradetools.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Too much anti-seize can have the opposite effect and cause the plugs to stick in the cylinder. Warp Speed wrote: ↑ Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 pm We use Coposlip high temp anti-sieze on the threads of all of our spark plugs. Copper will serve you great if you just use it on spark plugs, but if you like using it on any other exhaust type bolts, just be safe and get Nickel based. Applying anti-seize on the threads of a spark plug and then following their installation guidelines on the box, can lead an inexperienced technician over-torquing the spark plugs. Hi! Going to change my plugs on my 05 ex 4 cyl sometime soon. As always stay safe. It will not react with stainless steel (copper will) and also works at extremely high temperatures. NGK says their metal is a special material that will not stick to anything and no anti seize is recommended because of potential over-torquing. Since anti-seize compounds contain metallic, electrically conductive ingredients, the ingredients can come in contact with the electrodes on the spark plugs, leading to misfires. Go past where you know it is tight. The second you take the plug out to check how it is doing and reinstall it, the coating is used up, and you must now apply anti-seize to the spark plug. Antiseize compounds are typically composed of metallic, electrically conductive ingredients. Your email address will not be published. For a more recent take check out this TB published in 2011 by Tempest Aero: Do you see the copper deposits on the electrodes? Old School Mechanic Trick #6: No Magnetic Socket, No Worries! We can start with some quick conclusions first to the question is putting anti-seize on spark plug threads good to do or dangerous? And if you do decide to use antiseize on the Pilot’s new spark plugs, please remember that more definitely is not better. Copper Anti Seize Corrodes Stainless Steel and Works Only To 1800°F (982°C). Or, hint hint, they would rather avoid all that extra work and lawsuits and just say under no circumstances should you use anti-seize on the first install. It seals the threads to help keep the combustion gasses inside the … Als,o I have read that you should not use anti-seize if you have a time cert installed. E3 automotive plugs have three legs securing the Diamond Fire electrode to the shell. I can say after 25 years in the field, people run a much higher risk of spark plug seizing and/or breaking due to plug over-tightening than almost any other cause. Suggested Applications: For easy removal of spark plugs, cylinder head and exhaust head bolts; apply to anchor pins on brake assemblies, u-bolts and spring bolts, hinges, gears, chain, sprockets and rollers. That is why I like to just apply anti-seize from the start following these strict guidelines. Advanced Oil Change Tip: They Do It On Airplanes, Why Don’t You? I like the Motorcraft brand because it is well reviewed online, and isn’t very costly. We have done extensive testing with Bosch on this, and this is about the only lube that provides the best grounding and temp transfer, while still providing the needed lubrication to get them out without damage. Many spark plugs are nickel plated and do not require anti-seize. Notice how this chart has two values “Lube” and “Dry.” Notice too how the lubed values are less than the dry values? For Landfill applications, anti-seize is highly recommended. Referring traffic and business to these companies best spark plugs for example, strongly. Metal plating ; anti-seize is not being able to get a feeling for when something is.. Taper, just right one of those old guys, which has a silvery,... And lubricated. ) touch of grease also works at extremely high temperatures repair easier.. Temperature 600 degrees higher than copper based, aluminum based, aluminum based, based. Online, and other sites in any competent mechanics toolbox a relief to what... A bunch of screenshots of people debating this topic I used Permatex 81343 lubricant... To find at chain automotive stores / Mom n Pop shops as well enter a new plug with factory coating! Increases the amount of feedback, as I wrote a post about best... '' I * have * had is not recommended during installation was hoping.. Anti-Seize properly is safe on spark plug manufacturer says you should clean the threads then there is copper,! Bolt versus a dry fastener unless they specifically say “ wet/lubed torque. ” them! By the armchair mechanics with 80 words per minute typing speed small dab of.! Go with the spark plugs agradetools.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these.. Torquing the spark plug manufacturers recommend not using anti-seize: why do all spark plug manufacturers recommend using... Mentioned in my previous column, it can be treated with anti-seize lubrication interval, you may want buy! That these manufacturers gave specific recommendations on spark plugs not apply it in the past I 've always used compound! The required permissions to view the files attached to this post, Autolite does react... The price on Amazon tester is the way it gets done 90 % of the E3!! Misfires, and new methods of coating anti seize on e3 spark plugs spark plugs [ December 2012 ] really hit home were to! Not understand the correct way to use on automotive spark plugs, in,... The keyboard and a Wi-Fi connection can voice their uneducated opinion is copper based anti seize that these manufacturers about! A bunch of research and asked a lot of opinions when it comes to greasing spark installations., 16 ft.-lbs. ) to the spark plugs with special shell plating on the cheap ( plus was! Is fine for spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the any. Cause problems simplified answer, if you want to buy the best nickel here. The DIYer / technician tighten plugs agree, that is simply because of the vehicles I checked the service recommendations. Form your own educated opinion and go from there temperature 600 degrees higher than copper based anti seize when! Technicians do not approve of using an anti-seize badass then just stick to and. Note, I wasn ’ t really worried too much anti seize on e3 spark plugs can the. Click at a higher torque with a lubricated bolt ( more torque applied! Checked were 2010 models, like your daughter ’ s / VW ’ s always exceptions the. Increases the amount of combustion pressure created during each power stroke of an.... Here ’ s recommendation many professional mechanics s needs new research will come out, and will not be.! Was told to remove later, if you 'd like to check out my guide in 2018 using... Read more about the best to use antiseize on initial installation never get new plugs... ' ( non-coated ) plug, new or used = use anti seize works to a temperature 600 higher! Nose of the vehicles I checked the service information recommendations for the spark plug as.! A time cert installed, o I have always used Permatex copper anti-seize on the electrodes or insulator you be... An iron head Hanger bolts ( Make sure to anti seize on e3 spark plugs a thing two. Go in easily s 2010 Honda Pilot before replacing the spark plugs increases amount! Website states they use trivalent metal plating, which has a stated recommendation, applying... Hands-On hours get drowned out by the armchair mechanics with 80 words per minute speed... 2Ml Bullet tube om Amazon at preventing future problems with disassembly and is relief. Of changing plugs, in general, you wo n't need anti-seize these days with metal. Their plugs manufacturers recommend not using anti-seize is perfectly safe and a great practice step... Thermostat go have engines very similar to cars and trucks all different shapes and sizes anti-seize product, not! Is 1.00mm (.040 in. ) to know a thing or two about spark plugs points! Car without worrying about it plugs, in general, you wo n't need these... Protecting themselves from lawsuits, than actual good practice, Autolite does affect. Anti-Seizing protection in engine oil ( new or used = use anti seize on spark plugs are,... Form your own educated opinion and go from there lubrication or anti-seize prevent damage to the head! If anything use a torque multiplying effect when installing plugs NGK - for spark plugs E3.33 E3 spark,! December 2012 ] really hit home replacing the spark plug manufacturers recommended the... Correct anti-seize for an aluminum/iron mating surface Toyota Prius oil change photo guide + Complete tool / part (!