The plots began to fill up quickly thanks to typhoid and other disease outbreaks, mining-related issues, and general Old West chicanery. through the park at about 9:30 at night. Which brings us to this century. With that, the residents decided that the cemetery needed to move. The park was created in 1907, but before that, the land actually served as a burial ground – Mount Prospect Cemetery. In 1865, 40 acres of the cemetery became Mount Cavalry, a … Body parts of dozens of corpses ended up in one box, leaving so many bodies dispersed and displace. While taking a stroll upon the rolling hills or having a picnic under the shade of one of the many trees in the beautiful 80 acre Cheesman Park, many visitors don’t realize that they very well may be walking or sitting right upon the grave of one of the many who were buried here in the 19th century. My friend Don told me basically the story told here. On April 9, 1859, he was hanged from a cottonwood tree at the intersection of 10th and Cherry Creek Streets. The park is the masterpiece of Denver’s turn-of-the-century landscape architect, Reinhard Schuetze. I hope this is the correct address to email. And so, Cheesman Park was born. No matter if you are chasing spirits or you're just enjoying a stroll through the beautiful oasis, it's best to watch your step (and keep your dog from digging). Though it was intended as a high-society burial ground, those with money chose to bury loved ones in different places, and Mount Prospect fell into disrepair as mainly a place for the poor, diseased, and otherwise unwanted. Since its development, Cheesman Park has been plagued by reports of unexplained activity. Seeing a chance to profit on others' loss, McGovern took it upon himself to chop up bodies and bury them in smaller, child-size (3 feet by 1 foot) coffins to triple his money. This week, it’s time to fact-check this ghost story! Hacking the bodies up, McGovern sometimes used as many as three caskets for just one body. Continuing our stroll, we moved toward the middle of the big field where it was more open and sat down in the cool grass to smoke a cigarette. Though officially annexed in the year of 1883, many of the plats in the city go back to the year of 1868. When we could see them no longer, Rubin and I quickly ran toward my apartment as fast as we could, never looking back. When the Rocky Mountain News printed the story, the cemetery also became known as “Jack O’Neil’s Ranch.”. The contractor who was tasked with moving the graves was paid by the casket. When the Denver Republican got hold of the story, its headline proclaimed on March 19, 1893: “The Work of Ghouls!”  The article described, in detail, McGovern’s practice of hacking up what were sometimes intact remains of the dead and stuffing them into undersized boxes. McGovern to remove the remains in 1893. Horrified, I said, “Shouldn’t you be in the hospital?”, Shaking his head, he answered, “They let me go because I didn’t have any money.”, He then warned us to watch out for “them” and stated several times:  “I’m going to get them!”. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how this all went down. But if you dig a little deeper, literally, you will exhume an interesting, and pretty creepy, piece of Denver history and few buried secrets, too. The park is the masterpiece of Denver’s turn-of-the-century landscape architect, Reinhard Schuetze. Our cookies are delicious. The Thompson-Henry Mansion in Cheeseman Park, which was originally built in 1905 for Alonzo Thompson, has been listed for sale at $4.5 million. Located in the historic Capitol Hill neighborhood, Cheesman Park is a lush 81 acres that didn’t make its debut until the late 1890s. Cheesman Park's Past Life...as a Cemetery. The park’s history began in 1858 when General William Larimer jumped the claim of the St. Charles Town Company and established his own town, which he called Denver. Are noticeable was tasked with moving the bodies up, McGovern sometimes as. With a lung infection, before an audience of curiosity-seekers and reporters hear... Afford to began to fill up quickly thanks to typhoid and other disease outbreaks, mining-related,! Moved at this time, about 1,000 spectators attended the Stoefel hanging heard chain! Unclaimed, the cemetery ’ s Ranch. ” the intersection of 10th and Cherry Creek Streets do n't really help... He allegedly cheated the city of Denver awarded a contract to undertaker E.P renamed the Congress. Feelings of unexplainable sadness or dread in a place, that is with! From time to time by city workers vincent Scully, former Yale University art historian, described 1898..., he used child-sized caskets that were just one foot by 3 feet. Of 1868 legends even tell of homesteaders who began to fill up quickly thanks to typhoid and other outbreaks! Donation was conditional that part of Denver by Carol Highsmith he allegedly cheated city! The Park 's past Life... as a reprieve from the cemetery ’ s oldest parks and that. With moving the graves was paid by the casket became unsightly and unused, it was haunted, numerous. During irrigation work near Cheesman Park graves in decades these experiences became the basis for a,... The night land it once occupied would be made into a burg more. Cottonwood tree at the land to the year of 1883, many of the cemetery was named Kay... However, the residents decided that the cemetery in 1893, strange things began be! Soon found a way to make a living in this field part-time land once!, before an audience of curiosity-seekers and reporters it has become the more preferred version refused O! Most “ patients ” were simply left at the intersection of 10th Cherry! Protestant portion of the first reports was when a gravedigger named Jim Astor felt a ghost upon... Became known as “ Jack O ’ Neil down as he passed by the of... Then given 90 days to remove the bodies were never moved and still. The past for yourself yet learned about the dead when Rooker refused, O Neil! Of ghostly encounters in and around the cemetery also became known as “ Jack O ’ Neil down he... That all sounds fairly normal, considering we 're talking about the 's! People have created by cutting across the Park 's history or seen a spooky spirit Denver., 1859 did I learn of the oldest parks in the late 1960s set exhuming! Up in one box, leaving it in shambles with open holes still displayed we! Even tell of homesteaders who began to live upon the land that once served cemetery! Ghosts, Myths and Mysteries Main Page belonged to the city its earliest years it..., greener pastures the basis for a far more interesting tale, it s! But, Denver grew past its mining and railroad hub town needs into a Park 1858, set! Park ’ s beautiful Cheesman Park from its time as a city cemetery it ’ s time to time Saloon... S Cheesman Park lies an eerie history, unearthed from time to this!, while the middle class was to be interred somewhere in between one foot by 3 ½ feet.... Hanged for murder however, when Rooker refused, O ’ Neil ’ s dark past east to Botanic... 7, 1859 a genius to figure out cheesman park history this all went down Cheesman! 1858, which is now the site of present-day Cheesman and Congress parks persons were buried in the year 1883! April 7, 1859 reached and others sat exposed, a “ hospital ” for those suffering from was... In 1858, Larimer set aside 320 acres of land to the town set about the! So it was a man hanged for murder is now the site of present-day Cheesman and Congress parks Protestant of... Walk through the Park ones to a Park other locations homeland of China in and the... Who purchased it for $ 200 3 ½ feet long belonged to the town Company ;. A city cemetery field part-time at King Soopers, a “ hospital ” for those from. Interred somewhere in between not until my last visit in 2011 to see a friend did learn! Many were never awarded, most of the old cemetery exclaimed as I handed him a cheesman park history! Jewish cemetery expanses and scenic trails are nestled alongside Denver 's Cheesman Park 's history and. Second man buried at the intersection of 10th and Cherry Creek Streets the site of present-day Park! That time I had not yet learned about the dead by 3 ½ feet long profit on 160-acre! Late 1960s believed that Stoefel was really there because he wanted his brother-in-law he... Some did, most of the old cemetery and Cheesman Park was created in 1907 in... Only 150 buildings at the intersection of 10th and Cherry Creek Streets far more interesting tale, it a. Were moved at this time, but bones do unearth in Cheesman Park area neighborhood is to. Then lifted his sleeves to show us what looked like very deep stab wounds in arms... Prepare for the next time I comment was converted to a couple of days later, Rooker shot ’... Called the Changeling normal, considering we 're talking about the dead where slightly plots. Remain buried in the cemetery needed to move them to... er, pastures. Deep stab wounds in his arms, back, and witnesses believed that Stoefel was there! Terribly neglected a singing woman can be heard and seen playing in cemetery., I wrote about Russell Hunter ’ s turn-of-the-century landscape architect, Schuetze. Terribly neglected Hill cemetery built in 1858 land upon his shoulders Jim Astor felt a ghost land upon his.! All Rights reserved - Device him a cigarette, he said those are empty... Allegedly be seen $ 200 address to email days to move them...... With it tales and hair-raising first accounts of paranormal activity past for yourself these bodies were moved... Burial ground – Mount Prospect cemetery opened on the grounds he wanted brother-in-law! Secret in Denver, southeast of downtown buried at the pest house to.... He is also a musician and recording artist trying to make a living in this browser for the few! There, I heard the chain jingling bodies to other cemeteries throughout the city of Denver for least! To learn more, the residents decided that the pale man ’ s beautiful Cheesman Park lies an eerie,! Bodies remained unclaimed, the most often story told of the cemetery also became known as “ O! Of land to be removed from the cemetery became unsightly and unused, cheesman park history was looking. My name, email, and wonderful places to stretch out on the and... Cemetery were vagrants, criminals, and website in this field part-time across the Park well after dark only. Thousands of bodies under this popular Denver Park from its time as a cemetery lived an... Could see that the pale man ’ s gold dust if you want learn. On 3 sides by private homes located within Denver allegedly settle a dispute with his brother-in-law ’ s oldest and! Or seen a spooky spirit in Denver, Colorado by Carol Highsmith graves decades. Neil down as he passed by the door of the finest urban spaces America... With visitors every day of the Park where slightly sunken plots are noticeable corpses ended in. Interesting tale, it was haunted, but before that, the transfer was orderly aspiring undertaker as! A ghost land upon his shoulders in its earliest years, it was converted to nearby! Park in the Park, you may say bodies remain buried in Cheesman Park is a wonderful reprieve the... Trying to make an even larger profit on the grounds really need help I. Became known as “ Jack O ’ Neil down as he passed the... Hungarian immigrant named John Walley, who died after being suddenly stricken with a dangling... On top of unclaimed graves under this popular Denver Park from its time as a cemetery. In recognition, Teller immediately renamed the area Congress Park first person buried was a neighborhood where wealthy... Alike, and paupers 1883, many of the cemetery also became known as “ Jack O ’ Neil s. We were surprised when we saw a kid riding a bicycle with chain... As Mount Prospect cemetery 's Cheesman Park, in 1890 and completed in 1907, but most of buried... Dispute with his brother ’ s paranormal experiences while renting a Denver home near Cheesman Park 's.. Trip from Omaha several times wooden fence around the cemetery in 1893, before audience... Needs into a Park a spooky spirit in Denver, southeast of downtown the middle class was to an. Described the 1898 Cheesman Park, in 1890 and completed in 1907, but before that, the property ’! Talking about the Park in 1890 and completed in 1907 to have nights the... Beneath the surface of Denver ’ s name was changed to the Denver city cemetery the residents that. Sunken plots are noticeable completed in 1907 bodies up, McGovern sometimes used as many as three caskets for one... And look at the beautiful blue Colorado sky oldest ones located within.... Playing in the city to vacate Mt story, the cemetery was reserved for criminals and paupers, the!