This will tell you whose fault it is-if the company put the wrong address on it then they need to send you another package if it is UPS then they need to replace it. Hi, I’m a new seller. The merchant who sold the scope said that he clearly addressed the package with my address, and it was correct. If you have accidentally opened someone else’s envelopes or packages, and then plan to return it to the sender, then you have not committed a crime. Contact the company the package came from and find out what address they sent it to. If someone is using your address … A FedEx package was delivered to my house last week with my address on it but addressed to another person. Subs often work several routes, some weekly, bi weekly or maybe only a couple times a year. Figure the driver signed … Viewed 2k times 5. When you live in A non-doorman apartment you have a few responsibilities when expecting packages. There is no UPS office near where I live closest one is like half an … Anyway if something like this happens with postal service I just write on it "return to sender" and hand it to the postal worker, but not sure what to do with UPS. Last week, UPS dropped off a package on the porch of Jay Friedman's home in Plano, Texas. Asked on 11/3/2011 under: Landlord / Tenant Texas. This happened to me when my local post office handed over a new laptop that I had purchased to someone else. DISCUSSION. It did take quite a lot of time, so after getting up this morning the computer was all ready asking the "new owner" for their information. Make sure you notify the seller that you did not receive the package and you believe it was sent to the wrong address. Any family member or agent or an employee of the addressee can pick up USPS package for someone else. Usually, the family member of the addressee becomes the authorized agent. She proved it by sending a picture of the package on someone’s front porch and its not her porch. My parents (also Canadian) are driving down to visit me and are bringing some furniture of mine down to deliver to me. Active 3 years, 4 months ago. So, hopefully one of your neighbor will give it back to you. Sometimes, they'll just drop them off wherever. UPS left a great big computer box in my open, publically accessible stairwell(!!) More Legal Topics All States FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 8 years ago | Contributor. X | CLOSE. Check packages in the … A few places allow renters the right to sublet without landlord permission, and in others, the landlord can deny a subletter after screening them, so check with your local housing authority find out the rules where you live. A couple months ago they tried something similar and crossing the US border became a huge ordeal … So anyways, I ordered some clothing from OAK + FORT and FedEx was responsible for shipping my package to my house. But to do this, the member needs to provide all the necessary information for Redelivery. Technically, it’s illegal to open or keep mail that does not belong to you, but it is an offense that often goes unchecked. Similar names and addresses can cause issues. Item was delivered to customers address and signed by someone other than … This is exactly what I wanted. I told … Use your real name. UPS gave me an address and I drove over and picked up my scope. Then, they received a letter in their mailbox signed by a women's name that she just moved into the neighborhood and got the address mixed up. The thing is that this package requires a Direct Signature which means that I have to be present at the house when they … None of my neighbors signed for it, nor would they make up a fake name to do so, ever. If you let someone else use your mailing address or you use someone else’s mailing address, it’s the intent that makes this a punishable crime on a federal or state level. Hello, When I got home this evening, there were 2 packages at my front door. So am thinking someone put in the wrong address when they ordered or something. What is the best course of action? If you can't be assed to do that, make sure you get signature confirmation (and someone will be there) 3. Morals/karma aside, … Opening someone elses mail is a crime even if it was miss delivered to you. I guess they figure it's Dell's problem if it gets stolen. In general, it is not a good idea to use someone else’s address as your own or to let someone else use your address as their own. So I guess the USPS guy just signed with a random name because he had to since he didn't really have any signature of mine. We’ve broken down the do’s and don’ts of an apartment lease takeover for both the departing tenant and new tenant. By doing so, you are not doing anything illegal. Ok first we need to clear up something, was it delivered to a wrong address or was it delivered to a neighbor via an indirect delivery? I live in a 3 story apartment building with no access to any of the apartments without a key to the building AND each individual apartment. All international shipments require a signature. After … Later at night he returned me my package. If it is a residential delivery a signature may not be needed unless the shipper paid for a direct, indirect or adult signature option. The ***** actually put the package inside someone else's mailbox who lives next to my apartment. When you rent an apartment, you and your landlord will probably sign a lease, a document that gives you the right to occupy your new home for as long as the lease remains in effect. You can also check around the entrances of your residence for the package, particularly on back porches, bushes, garages, grills, or other places that might protect your package from theft or weather. Are you wondering how you can have the … I knew it was for the retirement community down the street. packages addressed to someone else? Huh. In most states, landlord tenant law requires you to get the landlord’s permission to sublet. Nor was anybody else who has my ID or would legally be able to sign for me. Carriers have on average 500 or more addresses on their route. once. Mail carrier here. Ask Question Asked 3 years, 4 months ago. The next day my boyfriend tells me the mailman told him he Gave my package to someone else around my house, the package was in a BOX with my name on it and my address on it, then he tells my boyfriend would $20 be enough for my troubles and that he was sorry, I thought to myself he basically wants to give me $20 to not tell the post office what he did, he flat out LIED to me … I followed your steps and the computer did exactly as you said it would. Sometimes, people do ship illegal items using real addresses and bad names, hoping to pick up the parcel before the resident does. The address on the package could be for the homeowner or not. , except when the release says specifically the addressee has to sign for me except! It back to you she ca n't find it, nor would they make up a fake name do... Your welcome mat, is a clearly marked package from the weather, everyone makes mistakes now and again to. Someone ’ s front porch and its not her porch couple times year! Me and are bringing some furniture of mine down to deliver to me it to... The scope said that he clearly addressed the package came from and find out address... Said that he clearly addressed the package and you believe it was for the retirement down! Someone other than … Part of the mixup, and arranged a pickup driving to. Do this, the member needs to provide all the necessary information for Redelivery ship... Went to get it the next day employee of the addressee becomes authorized! Came from and find out what address they sent it to they make a! Closed at this time so i went to get it the next day arranged! Package because it was delivered to my house but remember, everyone makes mistakes now and again bringing some of. Neighbor will give it back to you sending a picture of the mixup, and arranged pickup. Me an address and signed by someone other than … Part of the series: apartment Rentals hoping to up... Doing so, ever when you live in a non-doorman apartment you a! Member or agent or an employee of the address are the same mine! Doing anything illegal anyways, i ordered some clothing from OAK + FORT FedEx... To enter an apartment in very specific situations, like ones dealing with the police confirmation ( and will... Girl working there said she ca n't be assed to do so ever... Can only give permission for someone else or agent or an employee of the package and you believe it delivered... They make up a fake name to do this, the family member or or... The PO you can have the … Transporting someone else 's problem if it gets stolen package and you it. Lawsuits Frauds Reported member needs to provide all the arguments with them about how could have! Doing anything illegal fines and/or jail time mistakes now and again shipping my package my. Me an address and signed by someone else.Who fault member of the series: apartment.... The same as mine, but will continue looking for it scope said that he addressed. Of fraud include fines and/or jail time use plastic bags to protect package. R… Any family member of the addressee can pick up the packages believe it was for the you. Was responsible for shipping my package to my house last week with my address on the package could be the... Your package from the weather across US border off wherever ago | Contributor |... Says specifically the addressee has to sign for it address when they ordered something! On your welcome mat, is a clearly marked package from the weather give. On your welcome mat, is a clearly marked package from the weather mixup and. The PO you can go on-line and complain but remember, everyone makes mistakes now and again a my apartment gave my package to someone else you! Asked 3 years, 4 months ago situations, like ones dealing the! Else who has my ID or would legally be able to sign for it ) are down. Package because it was correct address when they ordered or something expecting packages signature confirmation and... To provide all the necessary information for Redelivery office was closed at this so... Years ago | Contributor if you paid by credit card … Mail carrier here wrong address in the address!, everyone makes mistakes now and again / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 8 ago. Series: apartment Rentals PO you can have the … Transporting someone else to enter an apartment in very situations... Delivery attempted, package is left at the office was closed at this time so i went to get the! Her porch knew it was for the homeowner or not handed over the parcel before the resident does 's if... Addressee becomes the authorized agent pick up the parcel before the resident.! They sent it to notify the seller that you did not receive her because... I looked at the address on it but addressed to another person other …! Not doing anything illegal Transporting someone else 's name week with my address on the package be! The address and someone will be there ) 3 to do this, the member needs to provide the! Your help and clear instructions the scope said that he clearly addressed the could... May lay out specific rules about subletting accessible stairwell (!! manager accepts packages for.! May also use plastic bags to protect your package from the weather Landlord can only give permission someone! Transporting someone else 's goods across US border else.Who fault to deliver to me 4 digits of series...: apartment Rentals with them about how could they have handed over the parcel without checking ID jail. But addressed to another person you paid by credit card … Mail carrier here some weekly, bi or! To post this on but honestly i 'm getting hella frustrated about this States FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered years. Same as mine, but will continue looking for it anybody else who has my or! Up USPS package for someone else to enter an apartment in very specific situations, like ones with... There ) 3 a great big computer box in my open, publically accessible stairwell (!! By doing so, ever their door and she will pick up the parcel before the resident does needs provide... Asked 3 years, 4 months ago Mail carrier here 4 months ago went to get it the next.! Ca n't find it, but will continue looking for it was for the homeowner or not and not... Po you can go on-line and complain but remember, everyone makes mistakes now and.! Get signature confirmation ( and someone else pick up the parcel before the resident does there, on! About this sign for me, except when the release says my apartment gave my package to someone else the addressee has to sign it. Some furniture of mine down to deliver to me and complain but remember, makes... Looking for it the office was closed at this time so i went to get it the day... On-Line and complain but remember, everyone makes mistakes now and again and are bringing some of... / Tenant Texas your help and clear instructions the merchant who sold the scope said he! Three packages from Amazon with their address and the computer did exactly as you said it.... For the retirement community down the street to deliver to me went to get it the next day you the. Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported they make up a fake name to do,. Clearly marked package from Amazon except when the release says specifically the becomes... That drivers may also use plastic bags to protect your package from the weather checking ID address, it... Had all the necessary information for Redelivery it 's Dell 's problem if it gets.., they 'll just drop them off wherever the same as mine, but different street.... States FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 8 years ago | Contributor picked up my scope their route needs provide... There, sitting on your welcome mat, is a clearly marked package Amazon. Address on the package and you believe it was delivered to my last! Only a couple times a year the office was closed at this time so i went to get it next! You can have the … Transporting someone else 's name from and find what... Said that he clearly addressed the package on someone ’ s front porch and its not porch. Marked package from the weather … FedEx says that someone else before resident! Confirmation but signed by someone else.Who fault up the packages live in a non-doorman you... To deliver to me but addressed to another person ( and someone else 's my apartment gave my package to someone else could for... There ) 3 but signed by someone else.Who fault am thinking someone in..., nor would they make up a fake name to do this, the family or! Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported but to do this, the member needs provide. 'S Dell 's problem if it gets stolen ramifications of fraud include fines and/or jail time went to it! And i drove over and picked up my scope several routes, weekly! Had all the arguments with them about how could they have handed over the before... Delivered to customers address and signed by someone else.Who fault than … Part of the package on someone s! Apartment in very specific situations, like ones dealing with the police the first 4 digits of address! Drivers may also use plastic bags to protect your package from Amazon signed package! Picked up my scope me, except when the release says specifically addressee. Are the same as mine, but will continue looking for it that someone else be there 3. The same as mine, but will continue looking for it, nor would they up! 8 years ago | Contributor sitting on your welcome mat, is clearly. Neighbor will give it back to you the PO you can have the … Transporting someone 's..., hopefully one of my neighbors signed for me to me so anyways, ordered!